Monday, August 17, 2009

Pear Basil Sorbet

So when I was home this summer, a friend of mine had a huge crop of pears grow in her backyard. Pears, like most fruit, apparently grow much more abundantly after pruning the trees; which was part of a backyard, patio renovation project. Not being afraid of ladders, or climbing trees, I went over one hot Sunday morning to help pick pears. Imagine standing in a tree holding a 10 foot pole with a small metal basket on the end. That was me, in flip flops. Not the best shoe choice, but the pear pickings were great! When I left, she was gracious enough to give me two bags of pears. Additionally, I left Kansas with a huge bag of Thai basil.

Now pears I can eat, but there were a lot to be consumed in the next few days, and basil I can cook with, but with just my roommate and myself, it was a tall order. A month or so ago, I discovered basil sorbet. I also discovered that I could make it. I couldn't find a recipe to fit my needs, so here's what I came up with. Don't let the green color scare you. It's fantastic. I prefer sorbet in the summer, because it's not quite so heavy. Plus, it's particularly good with gin, or for a bit lighter kick, some white wine poured right on top. Tasty!



Pear Basil Sorbet

Two cups Thai basil leaves

½ cup lime juice

2 cups water

1 ½ cup granulated sugar

Two ripe pears, peeled and cored

Mix sugar and water on the stove until sugar is dissolved. Chill sugar/water mixture. Place basil leaves, lime juice, and pears into a blender or food processor. Combine basil and sugar/water.

Follow instructions on ice cream maker. OR Place in freezer for 2-3 hours, or until frozen (should not be a solid block)*. Place the frozen mixture in a blender or food processor. Refreeze after processing.

Serve plain, with some fresh berries, or with gin or white wine on top.

* I froze this overnight, because it wasn’t quite ready after the 3 hours. Before I put it in the food processor, I ‘fluffed’ it (or scraped at it) with a fork. Turned out beautifully!


No comments:

Post a Comment